Friday, April 8, 2011

Prayers for Educators

So today was a bitter sweet day. Bitter because 200 teachers in my district lost their jobs today for the next school year. Bitter because I simply can't understand how our country can afford to lend out so much money to other countries when we are obviously struggling and in debt ourselves; as much as I love my neighbor, I cannot buy him dinner if I have no money to feed my own children. Bitter because we are told if we go to college and choose a career to build a better life for ourselves instead of living off the government or the working class, we will lead happy, healthy lives. Bitter because I cannot bare to celebrate my renewed contract knowing so many out there had to face anger and disappointment knowing they have worked so hard all year, outshined so many, touched the lives of so many children, were a positive influence and role model every day at school just to find out they will not be offered a job simply because we are out of money.

I was fortunately saved because I work at a Montessori school in our district, and they have invested too much money to have us trained over the last couple of years to let us go...as of now. Please pray for the many, many teachers out there who are facing terrible news today and in the near future. Pray for our children who are not going to get as solid of an education with class sizes going up so high next year. Pray for the administrators who may be cut if school enrollment is not high enough. And finally, pray for our country who has truly lost sight of the American Dream. We are obviously doing something very wrong to be in this position, and our future looks quite dim if things do not change fast!

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't read the last few lines through tears, but I can say "Amen". I have never felt so bummed after received such good news. Not too proud of the red, white and blue these days. In what other job do the best people get fired? Cut back on quality education and cut back on our future. May God guide all of those hurt people in the right direction. Love ya Nicole
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete